Thursday 14 June 2012

Get Illuminated! Sun Beam or High Beam?


If you don't have an illuminator in your life (and no, I'm not talking about the ever-lasting glow of true love... do behave you soppy romanticists) then you seriously need to sort it out. Get that fine ass down to the nearest beauty department, pronto.

Which is exactly what I did, just two weeks ago, after I made the fatal error (for my bank balance anyway) of trying out a friend's new purchase: Benefit's High Beam. A few little dabs and my oh my, I felt positively radiant.

Upon approaching the counter I was all ready to part with my hard-earned dollar, when the sales assistant threw a significant curve ball my way: "Why don't you try the new Sun Beam illuminator?" Nope. I knew what I wanted. No side-tracking. I wanted the High Beam. High Beam. Finito.

"It's brand new in to our store today. We haven't even put it on display yet..."

Uh-oh. One sentence and I flaked. I'm a little ashamed to admit it (please don't inform Mr Halifax of my weakness) but I just had to buy both products there and then. I'd like to pretend it was all for your benefit. But really, it was simply to benefit my love of Benefit.

Anyhow, I digress. The whole point of this blog is to help you decide which illuminator will work the best for you, so you don't end up teetering on the edge of bankruptcy like me...

Sun Beam: The Pros
You will sexify summer with Sun Beam. If you're a fan of bronzer and tan, then Sun Beam goes above and beyond to enhance your sun kissed skin. It's light but effective, and blends in so easily, just like High Beam. The golden-pink shimmer is just enough without being tacky, perfect for adding definition in the summer months. I love popping a few cheeky dabs to my cleavage area too, perfect for glamming up those evenings on the hacienda on holiday.


Works best if you have...
A natural tan. Enhance medium to dark skin tones with Sun Beam's golden glow. You'll look super sun kissed and beach beautiful. Combine with a few spritz of Tigi's Catwalk Salt Spray for the perfect summer locks.

You can buy it from...
FeelUnique.com, 13ml, £18.50

High Beam: The Pros
It isn't one of Benefit's best sellers for no reason. If magical fairies squeezed the essence of pearls into a bottle to create a subtle, dewy, shimmering glow... then you'd have yourself some High Beam. Okay, maybe I'm over-selling it a touch. But it does look amazing, and it is so easy to apply (see image below) A few sweeps of High Beam and you have instant cheek bone definition.


Works best if you have...
Fair skin. If you have the complexion to make a porcelain doll jealous, then you must invest in this. Trust me, it will transform your life.

You can buy it from....
FeelUnique.com, 13ml, £18.50

Top tips for application
Here's a dandy little guide to show you how to optimise your illumination. Now that's a tongue-twister and a half...


The Dab Guide - To illuminate or not to illuminate?

- Three dabs on the most prominent line of your cheekbone
- One dab underneath your eyebrow, again following the most prominent part of your brow bone
- A dab on both edges of your forehead (where it is almost like a corner)
- A dab in the centre of your forehead to brighten up your whole face
- I like a little dab on my chin too, but have a little experiment with that one!


No comments:

Post a Comment