Tuesday 29 January 2013

Foundation Faves: From Day to Night (and my High Street Steal!)

I always get asked about my favourite foundations, so I thought I'd put together this little blog to, ahem, cover all bases...

Daytime Delight: Hello Flawless by Benefit

For a gorgeous daytime foundation, I use the Benefit Hello Flawless range because it is so light yet adds a beautiful warmth to the face. It feels super soft on the skin and smells divine...heavenly!
I like to sweep over a layer of the Hello Flawless Powder Cover-Up in a matching shade for an extra boost of cover which lasts all day, without that nasty cloggy feeling. 


Apologies for the stern face in my swatch picture above (it would appear someone forgot to put sugar on my weetabix that morning!) but as you can see, the Hello Flawless foundation is subtle but effective... perfect for daytime coverage.

Nighttime Full Coverage: MAC Studio Sculpt 
I use MAC Studio Sculpt for a trustworthy coverage on those big nights out. It has a really thick liquid consistency, a gel based foundation which is fantastic for dry skin. I find the Studio Sculpt is best applied with a foundation brush, and a little goes a LONG way. It's also buildable, so you can layer the application to create a high coverage. Here's a before and after picture, featuring my dear friend Anna...


I would recommend leaving this foundation for a couple of minutes before applying powder to the skin surface, as it does set. I always use a mineral-based translucent powder (such as Rimmel Stay Matte in Transparent, £3.99) over the Studio Sculpt for an utterly flawless finish, quashing any unwanted shine in the process.

The High Street Steal: Rimmel Match Perfection

For a lower priced foundation, my tried and tested favourite is the Match Perfection Range by Rimmel. It might not feel as super soft as the Hello Flawless range by Benefit, and it might not be as super flawless as the MAC Studio Sculpt, but for only £6.99 I was seriously impressed. The SPF18 foundation blends really well, with no streaks or patchiness. It's great that more and more high street foundations are combining coverage with sun protection too! As with all liquid foundations, I like to set with a loose powder. The Match Perfection Silky Loose Powder, £6.99, works well and leaves a lovely soft finish, but I couldn't see much difference between that and the Rimmel Stay Matte in Transparent, £3.99, which is a few pounds cheaper.


I love the fact that Rimmel have developed a whole range of complimenting products to suit everyones coverage needs. The matching concealer is a brilliant high street alternative to YSL Touche Eclat (priced at a staggering £25) and works brilliantly on those troublesome areas, without standing out like a sore thumb. The concealer is bright and illuminating, lifting the dark under-eye area without dodgy creases. 
Again, apologies for the slight scowl below (I really must work on my snaps!) but as you can see, my coverage looks nice and natural with a light glow. A great high street buy for those with normal to dry complexions.


Related Posts

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I am definitely going to try the Studio Sculpt! I have the benefit foundation in my stash too but not tried it yet xxx

    Expatmake-upaddict.blogspot.com

    Stace xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacey, thanks for the comment! Studio Sculpt is my total fave for a full coverage, it's brilliant if you've got slightly dry skin too, lovely and luminous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jill nice to meet you, I am absolutely obsessed with the hello flawless powder! I'm using it from my how to look the best at everything set and its the best powder ever! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete